Curren$y's Crew

Curren$y's Crew
In Stores 11/29/11

Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

BlackRoc Sessions Episode 3 w/ MOS DEF & JIM JONES


CLICK TITLE 2 BUY BLACKROC @ AMAZON

Dame Dash is coming back out the right was after the whole Roc-A-Fella/Jay-Z debacle. BlackRoc is an underground lifestyle brand predicated on unique collaborations and raw style. The above post features a recording session by the Black Keys, Mos Def and Jim Jones.

I like the fact that both Mos and Kweli are pushing side projects (Kweli is the lone male voice alongside Res & Graph Nobel in the group Idle Warship). And is it weird that all I could think early this morning (after my friend Juanita put me up on BlackRoc) was 'I bet Jay-Z wishes he could/could've done something like it.

I love Jay-Z and not to go off on a tangent, but when Mos Def released the controversial album 'The New Danger' months after Jay-Z dropped 'The Black Album' I thought to myself, "Self (lol) this is a reeeeal black album; it's experimental, it takes shots @ Jay-Z's mentor Lyor Cohen & others who could truly put the brakes on an artists' career." I say all of that to say that it's obvious from his collaborations with Coldplay, Linkin Park & others that some parts of Jay wants to be hailed as a real rock star. Mos Def is on a lower level of economics & popularity, but he is a true rock star because it's a part of him - he has shown that side since his debut solo album. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment